Meet NCCOR researchers at the American Public Health Association’s 142nd Annual Meeting & Exposition
November 14, 2014
Researchers from the National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity Research (NCCOR) will be traveling to New Orleans for the American Public Health Association’s (APHA) 142nd Annual Meeting & Exposition, which takes place Nov. 15-19. More than 12,000 public health professionals from around the world participate in the annual meeting, sharing the latest research and information, promoting best practices, and advocating for public health issues.
This year attendees will be able to hear directly from NCCOR members through a variety of posters, two “Meet the Researcher” sessions, and a panel session. These include:
- Monday, Nov. 17
- 12:30–1:30 p.m. — Self-rated health and cumulative biological risk profile: Impact on the measurement of racial/ethnic disparities in the United States (Poster Session 3198.0)
- 1:00–2:00 p.m. — Meet the Researcher at the NCCOR Booth. Meet National Cancer Institute Researcher Erin Hennessey, PhD, MPH. Dr. Hennessey’s research interests and experiences have focused on three interdisciplinary areas: to measure and understand the relationship between the built environment and individual health behavior; to explore and build on the role of the social environment in influencing disease risk; and to design, test, and disseminate theory-based, multi-level, chronic disease prevention and health promotion interventions.
- Tuesday, Nov. 18
- 2:30–3:30 p.m. — Urban sprawl and health in the United States: Review challenges to causal inference and updated sprawl index data release (Poster Session 4277.0)
- 1:00–2:00 p.m. — Meet the Researcher at the NCCOR Booth. Meet National Cancer Institute Researcher David Berrigan, PhD, MPH. Dr. Berrigan’s research interests and experiences have focused on energy balance, carcinogenesis, physical activity, and acculturation using a mix of animal models, population data, and methodological studies aimed at improving survey data and incorporating geographic information system (GIS) tools and data-layers into survey data sets.
- Wednesday, Nov. 19
- 12:30–2:00 p.m. — Using publicly available datasets to answer physical activity questions (Panel Session 5186.0)
Throughout the week NCCOR’s exhibit booth (#1142) will serve as a one-stop shop for everything NCCOR. Stop by for the latest information, resources, and giveaways. Attendees can also follow @NCCOR and hashtag #APHA14 on Twitter to stay tuned to NCCOR activities and surprise giveaways at APHA.