Implementation Science & Childhood Obesity: Sparking Conversations and Actions to Advance EquityNOV 30
On November 30, 2022, the National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity (NCCOR) is hosting a public workshop titled, “Implementation Science & Childhood Obesity: Sparking Conversations and Actions to Advance Equity.” The workshop offers an introduction to implementation science for researchers working in childhood obesity, nutrition, or physical activity.
The workshop will highlight several experts in the field and provide examples of implementation science “in action” by illustrating approaches to advance equity across the phases of pre-implementation, implementation, and sustainability for childhood obesity, nutrition, and physical activity interventions. Attendees can expect to learn about application of implementation science to enhance equitable approaches for the implementation of evidence-based interventions for childhood obesity.
- Taren Swindle, PhD, University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
- Gabriella McLoughlin, PhD, Temple University
- Sandra Echeverria, PhD, MPH, UNC Greensboro
- Valarie Blue Bird Jernigan, DrPH, MPH, Oklahoma State University, Center for Indigenous Health Research and Policy
- Courtney Parks, PhD, Gretchen Swanson Center for Nutrition
- Deanna Hoelscher, PhD, RD, LD, CNS; UTHealth School of Public Health
Join us on Wednesday, November 30, 2022 from 11:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m. for this live, free workshop.
Share this information with your social networks using the hashtag #ConnectExplore. For those who cannot attend, the webinar will be recorded and archived at www.nccor.org/webinars/.
Interested in some background reading before the workshop? Check out our resource list below.
- Bauer MS, Kirchner J. Implementation science: What is it and why should I care? Psychiatry Res. 2020 Jan;283:112376. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.psychres.2019.04.025. Epub 2019 Apr 23. PMID: 31036287.
- Bauer MS, Damschroder L, Hagedorn H, Smith J, Kilbourne AM. An introduction to implementation science for the non-specialist. BMC Psychol. 2015 Sep 16;3(1):32. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40359-015-0089-9. PMID: 26376626; PMCID: PMC4573926.
- Brownson RC, Colditz GA, Proctor EK, eds. Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health. 2nd ed. New York, NY: Oxford University Press; 2017.
- Curran GM. Implementation science made too simple: a teaching tool. Implement Sci Commun. 2020;1:27. Published 2020 Feb 25. https://doi.org/10.1186/s43058-020-00001-z
- Lane-Fall, M.B., Curran, G.M. & Beidas, R.S. Scoping implementation science for the beginner: locating yourself on the “subway line” of translational research. BMC Med Res Methodol 19, 133 (2019). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12874-019-0783-z
- Swindle, T., Curran, G. M., & Johnson, S. L. (2019). Implementation science and nutrition education and behavior: opportunities for integration. Journal of nutrition education and behavior, 51(6), 763-774. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jneb.2019.03.001.
- Implementation Science at a Glance – National Cancer Institute https://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/is/tools/
- Good resources and training here: https://tracs.unc.edu/index.php/services/implementation-science
- Implementation Science Video Library: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJhGTpULmVIENeYHPDy-jLg
- GWU training Bootcamp: https://dccfar.gwu.edu/training-institute-dissemination-and-implementation-research-health
- What is Implementation Science Website (University of Washington)
- Writing Implementation (vs. Effectiveness) Grants: Proctor EK, Powell BJ, Baumann AA, Hamilton AM, Santens RL. Writing implementation research grant proposals: ten key ingredients. Implement Sci. 2012;7:96. Published 2012 Oct 12. https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-5908-7-96
- Training Institute for Dissemination and Implementation Research in Cancer (TIDIRC) OpenAccess https://cancercontrol.cancer.gov/is/training-education/training-in-cancer/TIDIRC-open-access
- Theory, Frameworks, Models 1. Nilsen P. Making sense of implementation theories, models and frameworks. Implement Sci. 2015;10:53. Published 2015 Apr 21. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-015-0242-0
- RE-AIM: https://re-aim.org/
- CFIR: https://cfirguide.org/
- EPIS: https://episframework.com/