The smoothed data are recommended for use in converting time spent in various activities to METy scores.
- Table format with columns for age just as on site (MS Excel)
- “Analysis Table” – one row per METy value with age column
Observed and Imputed Data
The observed and imputed data are recommended for efforts to identify research gaps and for further work on modeling the age dependence of energy expenditure in youth.
- “Analysis Table” – one row per METy value with age column and imputation column
Please be sure that you wish to use the observed/imputed data set. We recommend this file for efforts to identify research gaps and measurement challenges.
References for specific activity METy values
This file lists the sources of data used to develop the Youth Compendium.
Current Papers and Reports
- Ainsworth BE, Watson, KB, Ridley, K, et al. Utility of the youth compendium of physical activities. Research Quarterly for Exercise and Sport. 2018. doi: https://doi.org/10.1080/02701367.2018.1487754. Epub 2018 Jul 18.
- Watson, KB, Berrigan, D, Fulton, JE. Active Voice: A new youth compendium of physical activities. Sports Medicine Bulletin. 2018.
- Butte NF, Watson KB, Ridley K, et al. A youth compendium of physical activities: activity codes and metabolic intensities. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2017; doi: 10.1249/MSS.0000000000001430. Epub 2017 Sep 21.
- Pfeiffer KA, Watson KB, McMurray RG, et al. Energy cost expression for a youth compendium of physical activities: rationale for using age groups. Pediatr Exerc Sci. 2017; doi: 10.1123/pes.2016-0249. Epub 2017 Aug 8.
- Herrmann S, Pfeiffer KA. New data for an updated youth energy expenditure compendium: an introduction. J Phys Act Health. 2016;13(6 Suppl 1):S1-2.
- Ridley K. Final report: youth compendium of energy expenditures update: walking and running data. Washington, DC: NCCOR; 2016.
- McMurray RG, Butte NF, Crouter SE, et al. Exploring metrics to express energy expenditure of physical activity in youth. PLoS One. 2015;10(6):e0130869.
- Ridley K. Final report: youth compendium of energy expenditures update: systematic review. Washington, DC: NCCOR; 2013.
Past Adult and Youth Compendia
- Ridley K, Ainsworth BE, Olds TS. Development of a compendium of energy expenditures for youth. Int J Behav Nutr Phys Act. 2008;5:45.
- Ainsworth BE, Haskell WL, Herrmann SD, et al. 2011 Compendium of physical activities: a second update of codes and MET values. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2011;43(8):1575-81.
Other Relevant Resources
- Ainsworth BE, Haskell WL, Herrman SD, Meckes N, Bassett Jr DR, Tudor-Locke C, Greer JL, Vezina J, Whitt-Glover MC, Leon AS. The Compendium of Physical Activities Tracking Guide [Internet]. Phoenix, AZ: Healthy Lifestyles Research Center, College of Nursing & Health Innovation, Arizona State University; 2011. Available from https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/.
- Schofield WN. Predicting basal metabolic, new standards and review of previous work. Hum Nutr Clin Nutr 1985; 39 Suppl 1:5-41.