The National Cancer Institute (NCI) part of the National Institutes of Health, a funder of the National Collaborative on Childhood Obesity Research (NCCOR), is pleased to announce the availability of a web-based Dietary Assessment Primer. Various types of self-report instruments have been developed to assess dietary intake. Each has distinct features and strengths. The Dietary Assessment Primer:
- Describes the major types of instruments that rely on individuals reporting their own diets
- Provides guidance on using the instruments alone or in combination to address different research questions
- Compares key features of the main self-report dietary assessment instruments
- Explains and provides guidance regarding validity, measurement error, and calibration in the context of dietary assessment
- Provides expanded information about particular key topics in dietary assessment
- Includes a glossary of key terms and an extensive list of references and resources
The Dietary Assessment Primer can be accessed at http://dietassessmentprimer.cancer.gov.
The NCI scientific leads for this important new resource are Drs. Susan Krebs-Smith [NCCOR member], Amy Subar, Jill Reedy [NCCOR member], Fran Thompson, and TusaRebecca Schap, all in the NCI Applied Research Program’s Risk Factor Monitoring and Methods Branch (RFMMB); Anne Brown Rodgers, science writer [NCCOR Coordinating Center member]; and Dr. Sharon Kirkpatrick, formerly in the RFMMB and currently assistant professor at the University of Waterloo School of Public Health and Health Systems.